I have not had pasta wich zucchini for a long time. It’s really fresh and light. Ideal as a summer dish. Added bonus: it’s super easy and quick.
- One big zucchini (or two smaller ones). Chopped.
- 3 fresh tomatoes (chopped)
- onion (chopped)
- olive oil (4 tablespoons)
- salt, pepper (at wish)
- a bit of chilli pepper (depending on your spicy tollerance level)
- 2 cups of penne (De Cecco is reccomended, Barilla will do it)
Here’re the easy steps:
- In a sauce pan start with the oil and the onion, medium heat.
- When the onion starts to become translucent add the zucchini (pix)
- When the zucchini start cooking (also becoming lightly translucent) add the fresh tomatoes. The key is to not overcook the zucchini, otherwise you’ll end up with a zucchini puree! If in doubt lean toward keeping the zucchini. Check out this pix for reference.
- The tomatoes don’t need to cook too much. It may take 3-4mins. You don’t want to overcook them.
- Spice it up…time to add some salt, fresh pepper and if you like a spicy kick you can add either chilli flakes or even better use the fresh chillis.
- You are done with the sauce!
- In the meantime you should have started cooking the penne on a different pot with lots of water. Drain the pasta and pour it in the sauce pan, bring the sauce and pasta together, over medium heat, for about a minute (don’t forget to stir it a few times).
- Serve in a plate, sprinkle some fresh pepper and enjoy! (pix)
Let me know how it goes!